Whether it is your KFC or home-cooked food, spices are the secret ingredient to mouth-watering tasty food. Almost everyone is aware of spices but, do you know how to use spices as herbs for health benefits? Yes, you heard it right; the spices in your kitchen come packed with a handful of health benefits. This article will discuss how spices can help your body stay fit and enhance your immunity power.
Spices, be it cardamom, cumin, clove, coriander, cinnamon, turmeric, fenugreek, or black pepper, are rich in aroma and flavor. If appropriately used, these spices can also help our body in significant ways to stay fit, all thanks to their medicinal properties. The best part is, most of these spices are readily available, and anyone can use them as herbs. For instance, turmeric is used for coloring food, and it can also help heal wounds.
If you think that’s all, think again because spices have been here for centuries and they offer countless benefits. Keep reading as we will now dive in and find out how spices can be used as herbs.
Cardamom is one of the native Indian spices widely used across the world, and it is well-known for its mouth refreshing flavor. Cardamom is readily used in a variety of sweet and spicy foods as it enhances their taste. One may use cardamom seeds, oil, or extracts for a variety of health benefits.
Health Benefits of Cardamom
- Cardamom is a rich source of antioxidants, and its regular consumption may ward off the risks of chronic diseases. Moreover, the antioxidants in cardamom work as a layer that protects the cells from acute inflammation.
- The medicinal properties of cardamom may help lower blood pressure. As per research, the antioxidants found in cardamom help regulate high blood pressure and keep it under check.
- Over the years, cardamom has proven to be a blessing for the stomach as it can help enhance digestion. Moreover, cardamom extracts may also help prevent gastric ulcers.
- When consumed before intense workouts, cardamom may enhance the body’s ability to consume oxygen. As per studies, cardamom essential oil can also help in better breathing.
How to Use Cardamom as a Herb For Health Benefits?
To reap the health benefits of cardamom, you may use the spice as a herb in the following ways;
- If you tend to have stomach problems, you may add cardamom to your meals to improve digestion.
- If you have breathing problems or want to enhance your performance during workouts, you may use cardamom essential oil.
- Individuals who have high blood pressure problems may consume cardamom to keep it under control.
Like cardamom, cumin is another native Indian spice packed with numerous health benefits. Cumin is widely popular in Southwest Asia and Meditarrian, and the spice is ideally derived from a plant called Cuminum cyminum. One may use cumin seeds in a handful of dishes for better taste, aroma, and flavor.
Health Benefits of Cumin
- As per research, consuming cumin may result in a reduced risk of food infections.
- Cumin consumption regularly may help you reduce weight and get healthier.
- Diabetic individuals can keep their blood sugar levels in control by consuming cumin in their food.
- Ground cumin may also help the body maintain Iron concentration as one teaspoon of the spice has over 1.4mg of Iron.
- Studies show cumin aids in better digestion by enhancing the function of digestive enzymes and boosting the release of bile juice.
How to Use Cumin as a Herb For Health Benefits?
If you want to enhance your digestion, keep your blood sugar in control or lose fat, cumin can help you significantly. You can use cumin as a herb in the following ways;
- For aromatic purposes and enhancing your digestion, you can add cumin seeds as a seasoning to your food.
- If you have iron deficiency, you may consume one teaspoon of grounded cumin with water.
Cloves are rich in aroma, and these flower buds are derived from a plant known as Syzygium aromaticum. They are native to Indonesia, and now they’re also grown in India, Sri Lanka, and Malaysia. Packed with numerous health benefits, you can use cloves in a variety of ways. The spice adds a sweet and spicy aroma to the food.
Health Benefits of Clove
- Cloves can help you keep bacterias away, and their extracts can ensure healthy gums. Moreover, their antibacterial properties can also prevent food poisoning.
- Cloves are packed with antioxidants that can aid in the prevention of chronic diseases. Eugenol found in cloves works as a natural antioxidant.
- Eugenol, a compound found in cloves, is effective against cancer cells as it kills them.
- Consuming cloves can be good for your liver as eugenol found in cloves keeps it healthy.
- Clove extracts can also help you regulate your rising blood sugar and enhance the function of cells responsible for making insulin.
How to Use Clove as a Herb For Health Benefits?
You can use clove as a herb for health benefits in multiple ways;
- To maintain blood sugar levels, you can consume clove extracts.
- For healthy oral hygiene, you may also apply clove oil on your gums to keep bacteria away.
- To boost your digestion, you can add cloves while cooking meals, and it’ll also bring a strong aroma to your food.
Cinnamon is another great spice that comes with countless health benefits. For centuries, people across the world have used cinnamon as a herb, and, today, even research backs its health benefits. When used in food, it adds a sweet yet spicy touch to dishes of various types.
Health Benefits of Cinnamon
- Frequent use of cinnamon in food can reduce the risk of chronic inflammation in the body.
- As per research, regular consumption of one gram of cinnamon may reduce the chances of heart problems. Moreover, the compounds found in cinnamon can also reduce the bad cholesterol or LDL in the body.
- Cinnamon can prevent neuron damage and prove beneficial in chronic brain diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
- The use of cinnamon or its oil may help ward off fungal infections. Moreover, it may also help in keeping teeth healthy.
- Cinnamon extracts may also help in enhancing immunity power and help fight against HIV Virus.
How to Use Cinnamon as a Herb For Health Benefits?
Being a spice, cinnamon can also be used in a variety of ways with or without food. The best ways to use cinnamon as a herb for health benefits are;
- To ensure your body stays fit against fungal infection, you may add cinnamon to your food.
- To keep your heart healthy, you may also consume cinnamon powder with water.
- To strengthen your teeth, you may apply cinnamon oil and keep bacteria away.
Famous for its medicinal properties, turmeric is a widely known spice that adds color to the food and has an earthy taste. Curcumin found in turmeric offers a lot of health benefits. Moreover, a number of studies have concluded turmeric to be highly beneficial for brain health and the human body.
Health Benefits of Turmeric
- Turmeric can help fight depression, all thanks to curcumin, a component that increases dopamine levels in the brain.
- As per early research, the use of turmeric and its component, curcumin, may help prevent Alzheimer’s.
- Turmeric consumption may significantly reduce the risk of heart disease, as curcumin also helps regulate blood pressure.
- Turmeric may also enhance the neuron functionality and help you in keeping it healthy.
- According to studies, turmeric can also kill cancer-causing cells and reduce their spread in the body.
How to Use Turmeric as a Herb For Health Benefits?
The medicinal properties of turmeric have made it famous across the world and, one may use it as a herb in the following ways;
- To keep infections away or fight depression, you may use turmeric in your food or drink it with milk.
- To fight cold, you may also use turmeric in tea.
Fenugreek is another spice that comes with important health benefits for both men and women. Fenugreek is readily available worldwide, and it is immensely popular as a spice in the Indian subcontinent. Over the years, many across the world have been using it as a medicine to control diabetes. Let’s find out more about the spice.
Health Benefits of Fenugreek
- As discussed earlier, fenugreek is a reliable spice that helps in regulating blood sugar levels. Moreover, diabetic individuals can also benefit from consuming this spice as it also keeps it under control.
- According to research, consuming 500 mg fenugreek on a regular basis may help men increase their testosterone levels.
- Breastfeeding women struggling to produce enough milk may also benefit from the regular consumption of fenugreek or its supplements.
- Regular use of fenugreek may also help in keeping cholesterol under control.
- Fenugreek may also help in reducing inflammation and burning sensations in the stomach.
How to Use Fenugreek as a Herb For Health Benefits?
Quite similarly to other spices, Fenugreek can also be used in food as a herb. Moreover, you may also use it raw in the following ways;
- If you want to reduce weight, stay healthy and boost your testosterone levels, you may consume up to 500 or 600 mg of Fenugreek supplements.
- To keep diabetes under control, you may even consume raw fenugreek with water on an empty stomach.
- You may also add a pinch of fenugreek seeds to your food.
Black pepper, more commonly known as the king of spices, features many health benefits and is widely popular across the globe. You may use black pepper in your food preparations or on salad. For years, black pepper has been widely used as a medicine in Ayurveda. Now even science backs the medicinal benefits of black pepper. So, let’s find out how this spice can help you stay healthy.
Health Benefits of Black Pepper
- Black pepper may help your brain stay healthy and fight against brain diseases, including Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
- Consuming black pepper may also ensure that your body stays fit, and it may also ward off the risk of cancer.
- Black pepper can also improve digestion and enhance your body’s ability to consume nutrients.
- Black pepper can also reduce the risks of heart diseases because the spice is rich in antioxidants and can keep cells healthy.
- Black pepper may also reduce the rising levels of bad cholesterol or LDL in the body.
How to Use Black Pepper as a Herb For Health Benefits?
You can easily use black pepper as a herb for health benefits in multiple ways. Some of the ways are stated below;
- You may add black pepper to your food to make it spicy and aromatic.
- If you’re feeling cold, you may add a pinch of black pepper powder to one teaspoon of honey and consume the mixture.
- For other health benefits, you may add black pepper powder while cooking your food.
For centuries, humans across the world have been using spices to make their food taste good. Almost all types of spices have some medicinal properties that make them good for use. Most importantly, most of them, when used as a herb, don’t cause any side effects. We hope now you know how to use spices as herbs for health benefits.